Full Moon January 2020
TRANSCRIPT EPISODE 097
January 10th is our first full moon of the year. You can find the full moon January 2020 in the sky on Friday night depending on where in the world you are.
Today we are talking about the connection of the moon to our lives, how to use the cycles of the moon effortlessly to your benefit, a fun releasing moon ritual, what the different looks of the moon may indicate and specifically for this moon - what the Wolf Moon is and why you might take notice.
You see in our daily lives, we connect with each other, our higher power, and everything around us in lots of different ways. Sometimes we connect verbally talking to each other but we also communicate and non-verbal ways like with body posture and gestures and the energy or Vibes that we send out or accept. The way we stand for example impacts the way we connect with the energies around us our bodies can be open or closed and therefore be open to accepting energy or withdrawing from it. The same goes for the moon energies.
In fact, one of my favorite ways to connect with the natural cycles of mama earth and the nature around me is through the cycles of the moon.
And honestly we all come by our fascination with the moon, way back indigenous cultures around the world have used the moon for centuries for all sorts of purposes - even in slightly more modern times, the moon has been used as a sign to farmers (and still plays a big role in the almanac) for when and what to plant.
One of my favorite poems - I’m unsure of the author talks about the moon, “from her perch in the heavens the moon watches over the world and all the people in it. Night after night she reports on the beauty of nature that she sees and revels in the mundane details of people's everyday lives. Her message? There is magic and wonder in all things.”
How do we use the cycles of the moon to our benefit?
I like to think of the full moon as a big eraser because the full moon is a powerful time to release what’s no longer serving you and also to harvest and take stock of what has completed for you. In the cycle of death and rebirth that many of the world’s religions and practices follow, the full moon is starting point of death. But don’t think of it in a bad way, it is more as in clearing the slate - a time to give gratitude for what is completing in our lives.
Right here at the start of a new decade - it can be a really powerful time to circle back through what is completing for you with the close of the decade as you are rebirthed into the next 10 years.
On a more regular cycle, there is a full moon every 28-30 days, so it is also a time, rather than setting calendar reminders and alarms on a monthly cycle to check in with your self, to just notice the cycle of nature and ask "what do I need to let go of? What is completing for me? What is still hanging on that I need to release?"
Use these cycles to shift habits a little at a time and revaluate what is no longer working for you.
Fun Releasing Full Moon Practice
Let’s get something straight before we go further – labels are not particularly important to me, so in that regard I use words like “higher self” and “Universe” and “God” interchangeably. If that doesn’t feel good to you, just sub your word in there when you feel appropriate.
Aside From the effortlessness of just noticing the moon and noticing that it's time to let go of certain things you can actually take it a step further and perform a moon practice or clearing if you will. Here's what you will need: a candle, something to light it, with a piece of paper, a pen, any sacred items (crystals for example) and an empty bowl.
- Gather your supplies.
- Clear your energy. Take a deep cleansing breath, close your eyes and exhale. Allow a bright white light to bathe you completely and wash away any negativity. Take a minute to ground yourself and clear your energy. If you can be outside, having bare feet on the Earth is always the best option. If not that's okay just do this next step indoors where you can.
- Once clear and grounded, create your sacred space. Sit outside if you can. You may choose to place crystals or other sacred items around you.
- Take Another deep cleansing breath in through your nose and out through your mouth
- Write a list. Using the paper and the pen, write a list on the paper of things that you would like to complete, release or let go of with this moon cycle. (This could be physical or emotional things, this could be limiting beliefs, habits.) Sign and date the page. When I was on a weight loss journey there were many full moons I wrote down release the weight that is no longer serving me - is it the only reason I lost 100 lbs in a year - NO but it served as a cue to my higher power to allow the release to happen I was ready.
- Speak aloud. “I let this go.” or higher power, I am ready to let this go.
- More deep breaths. Really breath fully into your body, feel the breath from the crown to the base of your root chakra.
- 8. Light the paper in the candle and place in the empty bowl. As you watched the flames continue to breath and hold the intention of “letting go.”
- Sit in silence. Sit and meditate in silence, you may wish to leave the candle burning or to blow it out for the completion of this exercise.
- If your paper doesn’t light or burn fast, consider you aren’t really ready to release these things.
All those steps too much for you? Grab some Sage Essential Oil or some of the pre-blended Release and use it on the front of your throat to release what you need to get back into universal flow.
Once you are done with your full moon practice - you may consider what the different looks of the moon may indicate during this first full moon of January 2020.
Wolf Moon January 2020
This particular moon is a Wolf Moon - all full moons in the calendar have names, some are from native indigenous american cultures, some are from more modern north american cultures, and some are celtic and different areas around the globe.
The Full Moon for January is called the Full Wolf Moon because when there was more wild than settled areas, the wolves were more often heard at this time. Legend has it that wolves howl for hunger, but animal science doesn’t suppor this. They do tend to howl more for the winter months to define territory, locate pack members, and gather for hunting.
The energy of wolf is guidance and change that is occurring generally guide you to trust in yourself to find your path to take control and know that you were always protected by your higher power during your journey. This can be especially profound in January at the beginning of the new year and a new decade.
To wrap this up - using the moon as an effortless and powerful cue to enhance your wellness and support your body is so simple and handsfree (technology free too)...this upcoming full moon start to think of what changes you want to implement and what you want to release - maybe its staying up to late, maybe you are ready to release alcohol or go more plant-based for Veganuary, setting the intention during this time of universal and heavenly release can assitst you with bring more wellness into your life, naturalistically.
That’s it for this episode - thanks for tuning in - and next week.
Thanks for listening to the Naturalistic Nurse Podcast, if you’d like to contribute to this podcasting effort of getting the work out about how to shift your practice to ditch the bandaid fixes and shift to root cause resolutions that stick be sure and subscribe, rate and leave a review - I’d be oh- so grateful.